Allied health professionals
This page is for allied health professionals (AHPs) working in the Brisbane South PHN catchment, and for healthcare professionals who need to connect with, or refer patients to allied health professionals.
Allied health professionals are an integral part of the primary healthcare team providing specialist services for people of all ages and with various health issues — children, older people, people with chronic conditions, mental health issues, disabilities and those requiring rehabilitation.
Allied health professionals include audiologists, chiropractors, diabetes educators, dieticians, dentists, exercise physiologists, mental health nurses, physiotherapists, podiatrists, psychologists, occupational therapists, optometrists, osteopaths, social workers and speech pathologists.
Brisbane South PHN’s Area Account Managers are the best way to find out how you can better connect with other primary healthcare providers and help contribute to the health of our community.
Visit the Area Account Managers page here.
Multilingual Allied Health Professionals
Brisbane South PHN is committed to supporting the needs of our Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities.
To better support healthcare needs in these vulnerable communities, Brisbane South PHN has developed a directory of Allied Health Professionals who have identified as being able to speak and consult in a language other than English.
This resource is available for anyone seeking an Allied Health Professional who may be able to provide a non-English consultative service. To register or access our Multilingual AHP directory, please see Interpreting for Allied Health Professionals below.
What Brisbane South PHN is doing
Allied health professionals are an important part of the primary healthcare team.
Brisbane South PHN supports AHPs by:
- coordinating multidisciplinary education and events that meet the professional development needs of the whole primary healthcare team (browse our education calendar here)
- disseminating allied health specific communications
- connecting you with an Area Account Manager and various practice support resources and opportunities
- advertising Expressions of Interest and Tenders on our website and through other communication channels
Sharing the care: getting to know your team
Brisbane South PHN is committed to Person Centred Collaborative Care – a model for integrated person centred approaches to health and wellbeing.
We understand that coordinating a patient’s care can be complicated at times. These resources have been produced to assist GPs, practice nurses and other health professionals advance their understanding of the extended care team that provide services in a ‘person centred medical neighbourhood’. Learning about the diverse professions and referral pathways in primary care will assist patients to receive the right care in the right place at the right time by the right team; ultimately improving patient experiences and health outcomes.
GPMPs and TCAs are tools available to manage the care of people with chronic conditions and help to reduce the need for ad hoc consultations. For more information refer to the Department of Human Services Education guide – Chronic disease GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements.
Multidisciplinary case conferencing items are also available for GPs to organise and coordinate, or to participate in, a meeting or discussion to ensure that their patient’s multidisciplinary care needs are met through a planned and coordinated approach.
Watch the short videos and download the fact sheets to learn more:
Occupational therapy and dementia
- Download fact sheet (PDF)
- The Pharmacy Guild of Australia, Queensland Branch http://www.guild.org.au
Exercise physiology and mental health
Women’s, men’s and pelvic health physiotherapy
Brisbane South PHN would like to acknowledge the contribution of the following organisations in the development of the resources:
- Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Australian Podiatry Association Queensland
- Chiropractors Association of Australia Queensland
- Exercise and Sports Science Australia
- The Pharmacy Guild of Australia, Queensland Branch
If you have any questions or feedback about these resources please email: email@example.com
Interpreting for Allied Health Professionals
Brisbane South PHN has established the Interpreting for Allied Health Professionals Program to:
- support access to private allied health services for non-English speaking clients.
- ensure interpreter services are available to private allied health services to communicate with non-English speaking clients.
If you would like to be considered for the program in the future, please complete the EOI application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 07 3864 7599. EOIs will be kept on file and reviewed quarterly with consideration to local need and program capacity. Brisbane South PHN will communicate the outcome of your EOI via email.
A directory has been compiled of Allied Health Professionals who have identified as multilingual. To register for the Multicultural AHP directory, please click here.
Interdisciplinary Health Practitioner Network (West Brisbane)
Interdisciplinary Health Practitioner Network (West Brisbane) is a project in partnership with Allied Health Professions Australia (AHPA) and Mental Health Professionals Network (MHPN). Target audience: primary care practitioners who are managing patients living with multimorbid conditions. This new network is coordinated by Josh Pearn, a local Physiotherapist, and is supported by the Brisbane South PHN. Network meetings provide a forum for practitioners from a range of disciplines to connect, build relationships, provide peer support and improve chronic disease referral pathways. Meetings are held in Middle Park, in the western suburbs of Brisbane. All practitioners are welcome to attend, regardless of work or home location. Enter your contact details here to receive meeting invitations for the West Brisbane network to your inbox. For more information about the Interdisciplinary Health Practitioner Project please visit their website: ihpn.org.au
Department of Health
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people: Information on health assessments and follow-up allied health services
- Chronic Disease Management — allied health individual services
- Compliance education for health professionals
- Disability — Better Start for Children with Disability initiative
- Helping Children with Autism program
- MBS Online (Medicare Benefits Schedule)
- Type 2 Diabetes allied health group programs
- Department of Human Services allied health professionals page
- HPOS (Health Professional Online Services)
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs – Allied health professionals page
- Office of the Health Ombudsman – information for health service providers
- WorkCover Queensland – Medical and allied health page