National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of providing support for Australians with disability, their families and carers.
The NDIS will provide all Australians under the age of 65 who have a permanent and significant disability with the reasonable and necessary support they need to enjoy an ordinary life.
What is the role of the GP?
General Practitioners and other health professionals have an important role in the NDIS. This includes:
- Helping patients understand the NDIS
- Setting expectations for patients about funding of the NDIS
- Supporting a patient’s NDIS access request by:
- Completing the supporting evidence section of the Access Request form
- Providing documentation to confirm that a patient has or are likely to have a permanent disability, and
- Providing copies of reports or assessment relevant to the diagnosis/condition that outline the extent of the functional impact of the disability
Who can access the NDIS?
To become an NDIS participant a person must:
- have a permanent disability that significantly affects their ability to take part in everyday activities
- be aged less than 65 when they first enter the NDIS
- be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or a Protected Special Category visa
- live in a part Australia where the NDIS is available.
For further information on eligibility please visit the NDIS website.
NDIS roll out
The NDIS is being introduced by region in Queensland. This means that in some parts of the state the NDIS is already available, while in others it has yet to begin.
Brisbane: The NDIS will become available in Brisbane City areas north and south of the Brisbane River from 1stJuly 2018. This covers the local government area of Brisbane City. A person may meet the access requirements to become a participant of the NDIS up to 6 months prior to this date.
Logan and Redlands (Including Beenleigh) – The NDIS will become available in the local government areas of Logan City and Redland City from 1 July 2018. A person may meet the access requirements to become a participant of the NDIS up to 6 months prior to this date.
Beaudesert – The NDIS is currently available in the Scenic Rim Council area
For more information on the rollout dates across Queensland please view the NDIS map.
Phone: 1800 800 110 (8am-11pm Monday to Friday)