Who we are
Brisbane South PHN (Primary Health Network) addresses health inequities and inequalities through the power of partnerships, to support the best possible health and wellbeing outcomes for every person in our region.
We work across all levels of the health system to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of health services for Brisbane south — particularly for populations at risk of poorer health outcomes in our region.
We’re here to deeply understand the health and wellbeing needs and opportunities of our region and work with health professionals and our communities to achieve this. We commission services that directly respond to these needs to create a more accessible and equitable health system.
Brisbane South PHN is a not-for-profit organisation funded by the Commonwealth. We are one of 31 Primary Health Networks established across Australia to ensure people receive the right care, in the right place, at the right time.
What we do
Brisbane South PHN put people at the heart of health care. Our strategy maintains an unwavering focus on the people we serve as a key health system driver, connector, integrator and innovator for the people of Brisbane south.
We support the Brisbane south primary health sector by:
- providing support services so health care providers are better placed to care for patients
- supporting workforce development through training and education
- assisting health care services to implement and use digital health systems
- working with others to purchase or commission health services for priority populations
- identifying and addressing health service gaps based on careful planning and analysis.
How we do it
To thrive in a complex and changing space, we have a clear and resolute purpose, underpinned by an agile, integrated and people-focused strategy.
Our new strategy directly addresses health inequities and inequalities by working with the following stakeholders to support a well-coordinated, collaborative, high-quality primary health system:
- health care professionals
- regional hospital and health services
- State and Federal governments
- local community organisations
- public, private and not-for-profit sectors.
Annually, we undertake a Needs Assessment in partnership with Metro South Health, Children’s Health Queensland and Mater Health Services. Primary health professionals, health service providers and community representatives to identify health care priorities for the region and guide strategic decision-making.
Through these partnerships and stakeholder engagement, we continuously strive to understand, respond to and innovate for improved health literacy, quality improvement and a responsive health system that meets the needs of our diverse region.
Our culture, values and strategy
Our people are our most important asset and we build and maintain a positive organisational culture by working in line with our values. Everything we do is focused on achieving our vision, purpose and strategic goals together.
- Courage: We listen actively, communicate freely, engage respectfully in challenging conversations, embrace and lead change and pursue innovation with determination to achieve better health outcomes.
- Integrity: We can be trusted to make decisions that are well considered, supportive and fair. We lead by example, treat others as we would like to be treated, hold ourselves to the highest standards of ethical and honest behaviour, align our words and actions, and take full responsibility for those actions.
- Purpose: Our focus is to respond to challenges with meaningful actions which make a difference and improve health outcomes.
- Respect: We respect who we are, who we work with, what we do and how we do it.
- Synergy: We value that the whole is greater than the sum of parts and believe that collaboration and cooperation towards common goals deliver better outcomes for all.
The best possible health and wellbeing for every person in the Brisbane south region.
Partnering to build a health and wellbeing system in which every person in the Brisbane south region, especially those with the greatest need, is supported to live well and experiences care that is connected, high quality and easy to access.
- We put people at the heart of health care.
- We prioritise those with the greatest need.
- We value the strength of community.
- We learn, adapt and innovate.
- We partner to deliver meaningful change and sustainable results.
Better knowledge: evidence and equity-based planning
- Deeply understand the health and wellbeing needs and opportunities of our region
- Respect and value the capacity and strengths of the communities we serve
- Make decisions informed by evidence, quality data, our commitment to health equity and the social determinants of health
Better coordination: partnerships and networks for greater impact
- Partner, collaborate and lead system reform, delivering measurable and meaningful health and wellbeing impact
- Integrate and coordinate care systems within a holistic social determinants framework
- Support community-led action that delivers sustainable change in health and wellbeing
Better health: accessible, appropriate, person-centred health care
- Improve the health and wellbeing outcomes of our community, with a focus on addressing health inequities and inequalities
- Enable strong and connected primary care to create a person-centred system that improves health access, experiences and outcomes
Better organisational performance: excellence in organisational capability and culture
- Maintain responsible, transparent, independent and inclusive governance
- Foster an environment that promotes a system of leadership at all levels
- Deliver an integrated approach to planning, commissioning, program delivery and performance monitoring
- Encourage a high-performance culture built on inclusiveness, diversity, fairness, innovative thinking and teamwork