My Aged Care
Do you or someone who care for need assistance to keep living at home independently, or do you need information on residential aged care living? Services range from helping with daily tasks to end-of-life care, support for carers, respite care and access to residential aged care. Some of the services available while living at home are listed below.
Community and home support
- domestic assistance – household jobs (e.g. cleaning or laundry)
- personal care – help with bathing, showering or getting dressed
- home maintenance – minor general repairs and caring for your house or garden, such as changing light bulbs or replacing tap washers
- home modification – minor installation of safety aids, such as alarms, ramps and support rails in your home
- nursing care – qualified nurse to dress a wound or provide continence advice at home
- social support – group social activities in a community-based setting
- transport – help with going shopping or attending appointments.
- providing meals at a community centre
- help with shopping for food, learning to cook, making meals and storing food at home
- delivering meals to your home.
Allied health support services
- physiotherapy (exercises, mobility, strength and balance)
- podiatry (foot care)
- speech pathology
- occupational therapy (help with recovering or maintaining physical ability)
- advice from a dietician (healthy eating)
- other allied health and therapy services.
- Respite care provides care for you while your carer takes a break.
For general information and how to apply for services at home or in aged care homes, visit the My Aged Care website.
Aged care support
Brisbane South PHN has partnered with local community centres to provide support and information for older Australians and their carers through the following activities:
- community workshops and information sessions
- group and individual support sessions
- assistance with filling in forms
- contacting My Aged Care via their website or by telephone
- providing fact sheets, handouts and other resources
- outreach services to support those people who can’t make it into a centre
- access to a Specialist Support Worker at the centre if someone needs more specialised assistance to the aged care system.
Where can you attend these activities?
Donald Simpson Centre
172 Bloomfield Street Cleveland
Phone: 07 3821 1089
Logan Central Community Centre
9 Jacaranda Avenue, Logan
Phone: 07 3290 0088
To keep up-to-date on our community events, click here.