Other Digital Health Initiatives
The Digital Health team is here to support all healthcare organisations with a range of digital health technologies and programs. These include:
- eHealth Practice Incentive Program (ePIP)
- Secure messaging
- The eHealth Queensland Health Provider Portal (The Viewer)
- Electronic Prescriptions
- Recall templates
For information and support contact the Digital Health team via email email@example.com or phone 1300 467 265.
eHealth Practice Incentive Program - ePIP
The eHealth Practice Incentive Program (ePIP) aims to encourage general practices to keep up to date with the latest developments in digital health technologies. Practices can apply for the ePIP through HPOS.
There are currently five requirements for practices to become eligible for the ePIP and they are:
- Integrating healthcare identifiers into electronic practice records
- Secure messaging capability
- Data records and clinical coding
- Electronic transfers of prescriptions
- My Health Record system access and uploading
Requirement 1: Integrating Healthcare Identifiers into Electronic Practice Record
- Healthcare Identifiers Service- FAQs
- Best Practice: Inputting HPI-O and HPI-I
- Best Practice: Validating Patient IHI Numbers
- Medical Director: Inputting HPI-O and HPI-I
- Medical Director: Validating Patient IHI Numbers
Requirement 2: Secure Messaging Capability
- Secure Message Delivery Information Pack for General Practice
- Secure Messaging Capability Policy Template
Requirement 3: Data Records and Clinical Coding
Requirement 4: Electronic Transfer of Prescriptions
Requirement 5: My Health Record Access and Uploading
Uploading a Shared Health Summary instructions sheets
Shared Health Summary Calculators
Secure Messaging Delivery (SMD) enables health care providers to send and receive sensitive and confidential clinical information like referrals, reports, pathology and radiology requests, results and discharge summaries in a secure and encrypted environment. Secure Messaging minimises the burden of manual and paper processes and is a timely and efficient means for sending and receiving clinical information. This frees up staff to complete other necessary tasks and reduces the costs of administrative tasks such as paper for scanning and faxing, postage and staff hours.
- integrates directly with clinical software systems
- makes critical patient information is more readily available and accessible
- reduces the chances of communication breakdown
- records send and receive audit trails
- enables providers to receive priority clinical information in real time.
As part of the second requirement for the eHealth Practice Incentive Payment (ePIP) a general practice must have standards-compliant SMD capability. Find further information about the ePIP here.
Find out more about secure messaging.
Some useful resources:
Secure Messaging Information packs for:
Medical Objects help guides:
For support phone: 07 5456 6000
For support phone: 1800 125 036
For support phone: (03) 9675 0600
For support phone: (03) 9037 1000
Secure Transfer Services:
eHealth Queensland Health Provider Portal – The Viewer
Queensland’s general practitioners now have secure online access to their patients Queensland Health records through the Health Provider Portal (the Viewer). This read-only, online access will allow GPs to view public hospital information including appointment records, radiology and laboratory results, treatment and discharge summaries, and demographic and medication details. This access will bridge the information gap between Queensland’s GPs and public hospitals and help ensure patients receive consistent, timely and better coordinated care. All GP’s need to register to access the Health Provider Portal at www.health.qld.gov.au/hp-portal For more information read the fact sheets below:
- preparing to register for the Health Provider Portal
- creating a Health Provider Portal (HPP) account
- signing into the Health Provider Portal (HPP)
- searching for your patient in the Health Provider Portal (HPP)
- Factsheet 5 – Viewing patient healthcare information in The Viewer (TV)
- supporting GPs in using the Health Provider Portal (HPP).
Please note The Viewer is different from the Provider Portal used to access My Health Record.
Electronic Transfer of Prescriptions (ETP) supports the safe and secure transfer of prescription information between a Prescriber (doctor, specialist, dentist, optometrist, nurse practitioner etc.) and a Community Pharmacy using an electronic system known as a Prescription Exchange Service (PES).
There are a number of benefits to using ETP including:
- improved confidentiality and security of medication information
- better clarity and communication of prescription information
- rapid information exchange
- potential reduction in medication and dispensing errors
- potential decline in adverse drug events.
Find out more about electronic transfer of prescriptions.
Recall and reminder notifications offer a great opportunity to inform, educate and motivate patients to better engage with their care.
The right wording in a recall notification is often the difference between an appointment being promptly made and a discarded notice. Patient-friendly templates are more likely to inform and motivate your patients.
Download recall templates from the following sites:
Best Practice instructions
Medical Director instructions
Health Professional Online Services (HPOS)
Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) is a web-based service that streamlines Medicare related interactions with the Department of Human Services for health professionals such as general practitioners, specialists, allied health professionals, nurses, practice managers and practice staff.
To register, log on or find out more information visit the HPOS website.
To access the full range of information and services available through HPOS, log on through Provider Digital Access (PRODA).
PRODA is an online authentication system based on a username, password and verification code to log in to HPOS. This solution is an alternative to Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) individual certificates.
View a comparative document between HPOS, PRODA and PKI Certificates here.