National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is the new way of providing support for Australians with disability, their families and carers.
The NDIS will provide all Australians under the age of 65 who have a permanent and significant disability with the reasonable and necessary support they need to enjoy an ordinary life.
NDIS toolkit for general practice
The NDIS toolkit for general practice has been developed by Queenslanders with Disability Network (QDN) on behalf of Brisbane North PHN and North Brisbane Partners in Recovery to assist practice managers, staff and General Practitioners in understanding the NDIS and their role in supporting patients with disability through the scheme.
Brisbane South PHN thanks and acknowledges Brisbane North PHN for providing permission to share this resource with our region.
What is the role of the GP?
General Practitioners and other health professionals have an important role in the NDIS. This includes:
- Helping patients understand the NDIS
- Setting expectations for patients about funding of the NDIS
- Supporting a patient’s NDIS access request by:
- Completing the supporting evidence section of the Access Request form
- Providing documentation to confirm that a patient has or are likely to have a permanent disability, and
- Providing copies of reports or assessment relevant to the diagnosis/condition that outline the extent of the functional impact of the disability
Who can access the NDIS?
To become an NDIS participant a person must:
- have a permanent disability that significantly affects their ability to take part in everyday activities
- be aged less than 65 when they first enter the NDIS
- be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or a Protected Special Category visa
- live in a part Australia where the NDIS is available.
For further information on eligibility please visit the NDIS website.
NDIS roll out
The NDIS is being introduced by region in Queensland. This means that in some parts of the state the NDIS is already available, while in others it has yet to begin.
The NDIS fully rolled out across Brisbane south (Logan, Redlands, Brisbane and Scenic Rim regions) on 1 July 2018.
For more information on the rollout dates across Queensland please view the NDIS map.
Phone: 1800 800 110 (8am-11pm Monday to Friday)