This section is for pharmacists who want to get involved with Brisbane South PHN and connect with other health care professionals, and for health care professionals or general practices who want to connect with pharmacists.
Pharmacists play a vital role in providing health checks and valuable health care information to customers every day, and through the delivery of coordinated, efficient and effective clinical services to patients. Pharmacy has become a diverse role, working face-to-face with patients to provide advice and alongside other health professionals to assist with varied aspects of medication management in hospitals, aged care, consultancy, general practice or community practice. Research and education roles also continue to expand in key clinical areas, such as immunisation and pain management.
This section includes details of initiatives by Brisbane South PHN and resources for healthcare providers.
What Brisbane South PHN is doing
Brisbane South PHN actively engages pharmacists to engage with their peers, to connect with other healthcare professionals, and to share knowledge and experience from the pharmacy sector around topical and local issues.
Brisbane South PHN supports pharmacists through:
- updating on relevant CPD opportunities including varied career paths open to pharmacists
- providing best practice guidelines for pharmacists around chronic disease management
- disseminating pharmacy specific communications
- commissioning pharmacy-based initiatives
- assisting promotions around health literacy campaigns
- supporting the front-line work of pharmacists around My Health Record implementation and application
- assisting with creating linkages between general practice, AHPs, local hospital and health services and community organisations
- supporting the profession in conjunction with general practices through changes in prescribing patterns and medication re-scheduling.
Sign up to receive our monthly Allied Health and Pharmacy Update and keep up-to-date with the latest news, opportunities and programs.
Browse our education calendar here.
Pharmacists are involved in Brisbane South PHN through:
- representation through two member organisations
- membership on our Clinical Council
- participation in our annual pharmacy survey
- feedback and suggestions from local pharmacists provided to Area Account Managers
- project based initiatives such as the Motivational Interviewing and COPD Health Status Project (Closure Report) and Partners In Recovery mental health program.
Our pharmacy activities align with the priority areas identified in our Whole of Region Needs Assessment and have been developed based on feedback from local pharmacists.
My health for life
My health for life (MH4L) is a free, evidence-based behaviour modification program for patients at high-risk of developing chronic disease. It is a practical extension of the advice given by pharmacists to their patients, allowing participants to better understand their lifestyle risks and action their health goals.
Recognising the valuable role of pharmacy in providing primary healthcare, the MH4L program (via the Stroke Foundation) has developed online training and health check materials to assist pharmacies in providing health checks and referrals to the program.
- provide both Blood Pressure and AusDRisk (Diabetes risk questionnaire) checks on-site, in line with the National Vascular Disease Prevention guidelines
- refer eligible persons to the program
- return data on checks undertaken
The program includes six sessions over six months, with ongoing maintenance after the program has finished. Both phone coaching and face-to-face group programs are available, delivered by qualified health professionals who have been trained as MH4L facilitators.
The below webinar presentation highlights the distinct role that pharmacists have in promoting this behaviour modification program. For more information, please contact (07) 30846362 or email@example.com.
If your pharmacy is interested in providing in-house health checks register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pharmaceutical Society of Australia
Pharmacy Guild of Australia Queensland Branch
The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia
The Guild Find a Pharmacy website
The Remain Home Project – A Brisbane South PHN commissioned project looking at pharmacist directed research work.
For resources on Immunisation and Influenza, please visit the Practice Nurse Support Program page.