Aged Care Navigator trial
As part of the national Aged Care Navigator trials, Brisbane South PHN is working with community organisations to deliver seminars, phone support, and group and individual sessions across the Brisbane south region to help Australian seniors learn more about Government supported aged care programs and how to access them.
Specialist Support Worker
From May 2019, Brisbane South PHN will have a full time Specialist Support Worker available to help your patients understand, choose and access aged care services. The Specialist Support Worker will cover all suburbs in the Brisbane South PHN region.
Eligibility criteria for referrals:
- people aged 65+ years (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50+ years) and their carers/family members
- people who are not currently receiving Aged Care Services.
- and meets one or more of the following:
☐ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
☐ Culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
☐ Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people
☐ Lives in rural or remote areas
☐ Limited access to technology or limited computer literacy
☐ Special website accessibility requirements, such as people who are vision impaired
☐ Financially or socially disadvantaged
☐ Socially isolated or at risk of social isolation
☐ Homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
☐ Complex medical condition/s
To download a specialist support worker referral form and details on how to send referrals, please click here.
Opportunities are available for the Specialist Support Worker to provide services within general practices, community pharmacies, allied health practices or other community organisations. They will also be available to provide assistance over the phone or in-home visits when required.
The Specialist Support Worker is able to assist patients:
- to understand what services are available and how to access them
- to connect them with My Aged Care website or by telephone
- to choose and access services (e.g. helping them to fill in forms or with application processes)
- to break down barriers for people when trying to access services
- by referring people with financial barriers to the Departmental Financial information service officers.
The Specialist Support Worker is one of nine roles being tested in different locations across Australia during the trial period (until June 2020).
To learn more about this new service please contact Anna Smith, Project Coordinator by phoning 07 3864 7514 or emailing email@example.com
Brisbane South PHN is also coordinating information and community hub trials in the region. For more information please click here.
Aged Care Navigator trial
The Aged Care Navigator trial is delivered by Brisbane South PHN as part of a consortium led by COTA Australia and funded by the Australian Government.
For more information go to www.AgedCareNavigators.org.au