PPE and infection control
On this page:
The following resources are available to assist with the management of infection control:
- Department of Health fact sheet (10 March 2020) outlining recommendations for cleaning and disinfection of the environment where people suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 infection may have been.
- Queensland Health interim infection prevention and control guidelines for the management of COVID-19 in health care settings.
- Download an infection control poster for your practice:
- A 30-minute Australian Government COVID-19 infection control online training for health care workers in all settings is available here. It covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19.
For more information, read the Queensland Government guidelines for the assessment and management of patients with suspected COVID-19, and read the latest CDNA National guidelines.
Please be advised that the risk of COVID-19 community transmission in the Queensland primary care setting is currently at ‘moderate’ for some local government areas (LGAs). The practical implication is that from 13:00 hours on 27 June 2021, the recommended PPE escalation for health care settings in the PPE protocols is now at ‘moderate’ level in all four Brisbane South LGAs:
- City of Brisbane
- Logan City
- Redland City
- Scenic Rim Region
On 15 July 2021, the recommendation for Townsville and Palm Island was determined to be ‘low’ risk, with the 11 LGAs of south east Queensland listed above remaining as ‘moderate’.
All other LGAs remain in the ‘low’ risk category.
Note there have been updates to the PPE guidance for community health services and in-home care settings (relevant to primary care) as of 12 August 2021.
Note there have been updates to the PPE guidance for in a residential aged care and disability accommodation settings (relevant to primary care) as of 13 August 2021.
For the latest information about the COVID-19 response in the Brisbane south region, visit the Queensland Health website.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
PPE Buyer’s Guide
The Australian Government Department of Industry and Science Energies and Resources (DISER) have collated some helpful information to assist organisations with confidence in buying PPE from new suppliers including:
- what to look for when buying PPE
- how PPE is regulated/certified
- keeping your workplace safe
- knowing your consumer rights and protecting yourself from fraud
- links to National and State portals to help connect buyers and sellers of PPE.
The Australian Department of Health has advised of the increased evidence of commercial availability of PPE. Therefore, it is expected that practices seek their own commercial supply of PPE before requesting through the National Medical Stockpile (NMS).
For a comprehensive list of readily available commercial sources of PPE (including surgical face masks, P2/N95 respirators, eye and face protection, gowns and more) refer to the Queensland Government’s What’s on Offer website that has been designed to connect buyers with suppliers.
Where local commercial supply is not available, Brisbane South PHN is distributing limited quantities of surgical and P2/N95 respirators, and eye protection goggles from the NMS on behalf of the Australian Government. We will continue to process all PPE requests as quickly as possible.
If you wish to request PPE from the NMS, please follow the process below to assist us in triaging your request:
- Eye protection goggles – available for general practices, Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHS), after-hours GP home visiting services, medical deputising services (MDS), nurse practitioner owned or led primary care practices and allied health professionals. Please note that community pharmacies are not eligible to receive eye protection goggles from the NMS in this release. Eye protection goggles are reusable and are a single allocation of two goggles per eligible staff member. To request eye protection goggles, complete this form (eligibility criteria apply).
- Surgical mask requests – Brisbane South PHN stocks are only available for general practices, ACCHS, community pharmacy, MDS and a limited supply for allied health professionals. To request surgical masks, please complete this form.
- P2/N95 Respirator requests – Brisbane South PHN has a limited supply available only to primary care providers (i.e. General Practitioners or nurses) currently undertaking COVID-19 specimen collection. To request access to P2/N95 respirators, please complete this form.
Limited stocks of PPE are available to Brisbane South PHN. For further information about PPE distribution through PHN’s nationwide, click here.
Safe PPE use
In addition to the video below, the following resources are available to support safe PPE use:
- Fact Sheet – How to care for your eye protection goggles
- FitCheck for P2/N95 respirator poster
- Queensland Health P2/N95 Mask Fit Checking
- Difference between Fit testing and fit checking