Multicultural communities and vaccination
On this page:
- Translated COVID-19 vaccine information
- Free interpreting services (FIS)
- Appointment Reminder Translation Tool
COVID-19 vaccines are free for everyone in Australia, even if a person is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident. This includes people without a Medicare card, overseas visitors, international students, migrant workers and asylum seekers.
Individuals who meet the current eligibility criteria and do not have a Medicare card, or are not eligible for Medicare, can receive their vaccinations for free at:
- Commonwealth Vaccination Clinics, and
- state or territory COVID-19 vaccination clinic
GPs and practice nurses play a vital role in educating patients about the COVID-19 vaccination. Migrant and refugee communities face many barriers seeking accurate and trusted information, and information in the media or from overseas may cause confusion.
GPs are a trusted source of information and, together with your practice team, you can make a real difference. It is recommended that GPs initiate the conversation rather than waiting for patients to ask. Resources linked below are available to support general practices in this role.
Translated vaccine information
Department of Health have developed a variety of translated resources in over 60 languages. Below are quick links to some of these resources:
- Translated consent forms
- What is the COVID-19 vaccine? Is it safe?
- 6 steps to approve a vaccine
- Useful information on the COVID-19 vaccines
- Patient information sheet on AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine and thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS)
- Preparing for COVID-19 vaccination
- After your vaccination
- After your Pfizer (COMIRNATY) vaccine
- After your AstraZenca vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccines: common questions
Free Interpreting Services (FIS)
Working with qualified interpreters is essential to ensuring you are able to communicate effectively with your patients and are protected from professional risk. Interpreters are available anytime, day or night, during the week or weekend, every day of the year.
Visit our Multicultural Health page for more information and tips on engaging an interpreter for your patient.
Appointment Reminder Translation Tool
The Appointment Reminder Translation Tool allows you to translate appointment details into your patient’s language.
See also our page on COVID-19 Outbreaks, Testing and Management for multicultural communities.