Residential Aged Care Facilities and COVID-19
Page last updated at 9.30 am 14 June 2022
On this page:
- Vaccination support for residential aged care facilities
- COVID-19 flowchart in an RACF setting
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Important phone numbers
- Support lines for residents
- Useful websites and resources
Vaccination support for residential aged care facilities
Brisbane South PHN is working alongside residential aged care facilities (RACF) to manage and reduce infection rates in facilities.
All RACFs in the Brisbane South region have been supported by Brisbane South PHN to vaccinate residents and staff. Brisbane South PHN continues to support all RACFs in the region to ensure vaccinations are available.
If you need vaccination assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 flowchart in an RACF setting
COVID-19 in an RACF: overview and flowchart was jointly developed by a state and commonwealth working group to help ensure Queensland can mobilise quickly and effectively in response to a COVID-19 case in an aged care facility.
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
PPE for COVID-19 includes surgical masks, particulate filter respirators (such as P2 or N95), gloves, goggles, glasses, face shields, gowns and aprons.
Guidelines on the use of PPE when caring for patients in the non-inpatient settings are available on the Department of Health’s website.
Residential aged care services who have a current outbreak or exposure, can source PPE through the COVID-19 Support Portal via the My Aged Care provider portal.
If you have any questions about the use of PPE or if you require PPE, email email@example.com.
Important phone numbers
Metro South Health Public Health Unit (07) 3156 4000
Metro South Health CAREPACT Emergency Triage Service 0427 026 319
CAREPACT refers to the Mobile Emergency Team (MET). When calling CAREPACT, please have a recent set of vitals. Open 7 days a week from 7:30 am to 4 pm. Closed Christmas day.
Metro South Health PallConsult 1300 725 537 (1300 PALLDR)
PallConsult is apalliative care advice hotline for doctors, NPs, paramedics and pharmacists. Open 24/7.
1300 PALLCR (1300 725 527)
PALLCR is a hotline for nurses and allied health in all care environments. Open 24/7
Support lines for residents
FriendLine 1800 171 866
FriendLine is a COVID-19 support line provides information and support for older Australians, their families and carers. FriendLine is for anyone who needs to reconnect or just wants a chat. All conversations with FriendLine are casual and anonymous and friendly volunteers are ready to talk about anything and everything.
Useful websites and resources
- COVID-19 resources for aged care services (Department of Health)
- Subscribe to aged care sector newsletters and alerts from the Department of Health
- Leading Age Services Australia ‘LASA’ COVID-19 resources
- Aged and Community Services Australia ‘ACSA’ COVID-19 resources
- Queensland Government Aged Care Directions
- COVID-19 vaccination – Easy Read resources
- COVID-19 outbreaks in Australian residential aged care facilities