The Brisbane South PHN region covers a large area south of the Brisbane River, including metropolitan, rural and remote island locations. Our region is home to approximately 23% of the Queensland population – over 1.2 million people from many different backgrounds and cultures.
Spanning four Local Government Areas including Logan, Redland, Brisbane and Scenic Rim, 223 suburbs and covering 3,770 square kilometres, we are the largest catchment in Queensland by population. We expect to grow to approximately 1.4 million people by 2036.
The boundaries for our region align with those of the Metro South Hospital and Health Service, enabling the efficient transfer of valuable knowledge and skills between the organisations.
To find a PHN, access the Department of Health’s interactive PHN locator map to match a postcode with its PHN.
Regional population facts*
- 1.2 million people
- 23% of the Queensland population
- 2.2% of residents identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (the second-largest urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population)
- 13% of residents are over the age of 65
- 30% of Queensland’s population who was born overseas now lives in our region
- 19% of our region is multicultural or comes from a non-English speaking background
- Our region is the area of highest refugee settlement in Queensland
Regional health care facts*
- 340 general practices
- 1,388 General Practitioners
- 695 nurses in general practice
- 1,837 nurses and midwives in primary care
- 206 pharmacies
- 843 Pharmacists
- 872 allied health services
- 2,432 allied health professionals
- 8 public hospitals
- 10 private hospitals
- 12 community health centres
- 8 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Services
*All figures are approximate and current as at 31 August 2020
Our hospitals and health centres
|Public hospitals||Private hospitals|
|Beaudesert Hospital||Greenslopes Private Hospital|
|Logan Hospital||Mater Private Hospital|
|Mater Public Hospital||Mater Mothers’ Private Hospital, Brisbane|
|Princess Alexandra Hospital||Mater Mothers’ Private Hospital, Redland|
|Queensland Children’s Hospital||St Vincent’s Private Hospital|
|QEII Jubilee Hospital||Sunnybank Private Hospital|
|Community health centres|
|Beenleigh CHC||Browns Plains CHC|
|Corinda CHC||Eight Mile Plains CHC|
|Inala CHC||Logan Central CHC|
|Locan Central CMHC||Marie Rose Centre|
|Redland Health Service Centre||Southern Queensland Centren of Excellence – Inala|
|Woolloongabba CHC||Wynnum-Manly CHC|
Planning for our region
Each three years, Brisbane South PHN prepares a comprehensive Needs Assessment in partnership with Metro South Health, Children’s Health Queensland and Mater Health Services. Primary health professionals, health service providers and local community representatives are invited to participate in this collaborative process to improve local health outcomes.
The information Brisbane South PHN collects during the Needs Assessment is used for planning to identify health care priorities for the region. The Needs Assessment is complemented by 20 detailed sub-regional profiles that identify regional variations in health status and health service use.
Sub-regional profiles present a range of data, including:
- social determinants
- health service usage
- participation in screening and healthy behaviours
- morbidity and mortality for selected conditions.